|Location||Secunda, South Africa|
|Date Posted||Sep 17, 2020|
Engineering / Technical Jobs
- ABOUT THE ROLE / PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- Accountable for the full value chain of sustained safe mining of 4 million ton coal with 4 or more production sections, according to comparative volume, cost and quality requirements from underground coal reserves
- Adhering to all legislative requirements by leading, directing and managing the operational and business objectives of a large mine
- Manage coal production at a large mine with a total annual budget of R450m – R550m
- This position carries a 3.1 legal appointment for the mine
In addition to a pre-employment medical examination, some positions may require a physical fitness assessment as part of the normal selection criteria.
1. Short term Mine planning – Develop and own - mine planning and scheduling.
2. Mine strategic plan – Internal and External stakeholder engagement - Interact with relevant stakeholders, unions, DMR, contractors, suppliers, etc..
3. Long term resource planning – Recruitment, training and career development.
4. Safe Production – Manage production operations and make appropriate adjustments to deliver agreed volumes at optimal productivity and cost in normal time.
5. (Safe Production) – Ensure execution of engineering and maintenance strategies / plans that optimise sweating of assets and total cost of ownership.
6. (Finance) – Prime responsibility for annual budget including volume, capex and cost requirements and control cost to ensure production volumes are achieved within budget.
7. (SHE) – Overall accountability for strategy to strive towards best in class safety performance and continuous improvement of key safety metrics to maintain license to operate.
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Delivering on safe production plan for the year for the mine, balancing reserve utilisation, cost and production priorities without compromising safety
- In-depth knowledge of, as well as application of various sets of legal requirements (SLP, Mining charter requirements, SHE related requirements, water use license, etc.)
- Highly unionised (multi-union) environment in which union and employee engagement is critical
- Balancing short term priorities vs. long term sustainable mining practices and productivity
-This is a Large Mine underground coal mine, consisting of 10 or more sections production in excess of 8 million tons per year.
-This position has a 3.1 legal appointment and is accountable for the full operation of the mine including production, cost, quality, safety, short and long-term planning and people management within a highly regulated industry.
-It is a high pressure, production environment, complicated by various legal requirements.
-It is a highly unionised environment (multi-unions) and engagement with both unions and employees are critical.
-Complex interfaces with contractors and suppliers also exists.
-Information from various sources needs to be analyzed, interpreted and integrated to make trade-off decisions in the best interest of the mine, Sasol Mining and Sasol as a whole.
- Business-focussed: Demonstrates commercial acument, a globel mind-set and exercises sound judgment
- Results-focusesed: Achieves results thorugh others and holds them accountable
- Sets Direction: Provides vision and direction aligned to One Sasol
- Drives Competitive Edge: Leads organisational change, innovation and sustainability
- In line with Sasol’s commitment to Employment Equity, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
- In addition to a pre-employment medical examination, some positions may require a physical fitness assessment as part of the normal selection criteria.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Government Certificate of Competence (Mining or Engineering) (Must)
- Professionally Certified Engineer will be an added advantage
- Relevant B. Eng. / BSc Eng. with a minimum of 7 years relevant Engineering in Mining industry experience, with minimum 4 years Operations (Maintenance or Production or Production Services) Management Experience
- Relevant B Tech / National Higher Diploma with a minimum of 10 years relevant Engineering in Mining industry experience, with minimum 4 years Operations (Maintenance or Production or Production Services) Management Experience
- B Tech, Mine Overseer Certificate of Competence and Mine Managers Certificate of Competence with a Minimum 10 years relevant Engineering in Mining industry experience, with minimum 4 years Operations (Maintenance or Production or Production Services) Management Experience
- ABOUT THE ROLE / PURPOSE OF THE JOB