|Location||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Date Posted||Oct 21, 2020|
The Mobile App Designer is responsible for the end-to-end user experience and design on Discovery’s native mobile app, ensuring the application of best practice and adherence to design standards across the iOS and Android platform. The ideal candidate is passionate about both designing elegant mobile user experiences and taking a human-centred design approach to ensuring design excellence. The ability to work collaboratively and to communicate effectively is essential to our way of working. The candidate must be a self-motivated creative professional, capable of adapting quickly to a fast-paced environment. This will require a designer who can solve complex visual and interaction design challenges. The candidate must also have impeccable attention to detail.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to
- Peer review and quality assurance of iOS and Android design before and during development. Ensuring the adherence to and correct implementation of the Discovery iOS and Android standards and guidelines.
- Deep understanding of Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines and Google’s Material Design.
- Maintenance of iOS and Android artefacts - which include usage, guidelines, documentation, assets and libraries within the design system and style guide.
- Collaborate with Business Analysts and Product Owners within the squad to plan for design work to be done.
- Take ideas and concepts, and translate them into designs for iOS and Android mobile products that effectively meet the needs of internal leaders, partners and most of all – our members.
- Contribute to design development throughout the entire lifecycle, from initial explorations through final design deliverables. This includes continuous QA during development to ensure the product is aligned with the design specifications.
- Push creativity, challenge established thinking, and discover new ways of solving a problem.
- Develop visual design prototypes ranging from comps to interactive mock-ups.
- Communicate design rationale effectively to key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (UX, fellow visual designers, researchers, product managers) to create compelling visual designs of interactive experiences.
- Work closely with developers and engineers to deliver the final product.
- Deep understanding of platform and device requirements such as form factors, screen resolutions, pixel density and aspect ratios.
- Spark fresh ideas that are infused in our culture and our products.
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable presenting to an audience and interacting with business stakeholders.
- A strong working knowledge of interaction design, user-centred experience design, brand identity management, digital marketing and the creative process.
- Demonstrated senior level knowledge in mobile platform guidelines, frameworks and trends (iOS and Android)
- Excellent visual design skills; attention to detail and a demonstrated mastery of typography, colour and layout.
- Experience and understanding of lean and agile processes.
- Senior-level proficiency with design tools such as Sketch, Figma, the Adobe Creative Suite and Zeplin.
- Be able to stand by your designs and provide solid rationale to back up design decisions made.
- In-depth familiarity with the latest trends in Mobile app user experience.
- Ability to use prototyping tools to convey design intent.
- Demonstrate knowledge in designing for a global mobile product across multiple platforms.
- Operational understanding of Accessibility and the ability to incorporate accessibility in mobile design.
- Ability to think independently yet operate effectively in and with teams.
- Strong program management skills and proven experience of managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, delivery driven environment, with the ability to work to tight timescales and prioritise ruthlessly.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience designing sophisticated interactive applications on web, mobile, and/or desktop, as Interaction Designer in a cross- functional product driven organisation or design agency.
- Experience in UX research, UX design, interface design, interaction design preferred.
- A portfolio of work demonstrating a proven track record for solving difficult UX design problems and simplifying difficult requirements to intuitive interfaces for customers.
- Education in user experience, human-computer interaction, interaction design, fine arts or related field preferred.
- A track record of outstanding academic qualifications and professional performance.