|Location||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Date Posted||Sep 15, 2020|
- To identify, analyse and monitor stocks as part of the investment team.
- To formulate the house view in the sector responsible by making informed recommendations.
- Express well-articulated views that help shape decision-making by the equity construction committee.
- Quality of research output demonstrates thorough understanding of the sector responsible as well as the stocks under coverage.
- Contribute to rigorous investment debate and fully understand and deliver investment outcomes in line with the investment philosophy.
Identification of investment opportunities (stocks) that have the characteristics of a stock that Melville Douglas would invest in and are likely to positively impact investment performance. This would include the following steps in addition to others you deem appropriate.
- Identification of investment stocks
- Analysis of investment stocks
- Monitoring of investment stocks
- Motivation of investment ideas
- Risk management
- Stock guidelines
- Balance sheet assessment
- Management assessment
- All research to be conducted in a timely manner and saved onto the central repository
Ambassadors of the investment process and contribute to improve the outcomes in your sector as well as others’.
- Thought-leadership within your sector.
- Viewed as ‘the’ industry-specialist within our investment team and provide valuable insights on where you believe the sector and opportunity set is evolving.
- Proactively navigate sector opportunities and pitfalls and communicate these dynamics to the team.
- Value-add probing across sectors to improve the overall investment debate in the team.
- Develop a strong understanding across other sectors in addition to your own.
- Build profile outside MD via internal distribution channels (WI, SBFC). Develop an understanding of how our investment products / insights can be helpful to our distribution channel.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Post Graduate (4 year) degree with a bias to Investment management, Accounting, Numerical subjects e.g. Mathematics, Science, Analytics
- CFA preferred
- Min of 5 years of relevant analytical experience obtained at a respected financial institution. Some investment, financial services or consulting industry experience preferable.
- Sector specialist decision-making track record.
- Valuation dynamics involved in determining the value of stocks within a range of industry/market sectors.
- Interaction of the various factors that drive investment performance.
- Risk dynamics involved in managing an investment portfolio (market risk, systematic risk).
- Calculation and quantification of statistical risk metrics.
- Ability to evaluate qualitative information and determine the impact this would have on the risk premium of the investment.
- Ability to defend and debate investment recommendations.
- Investment knowledge at an advanced level. Acts independently and provides guidance and training to others.
- Displays leadership in field of expertise but also shares insights across broader industries.
- While understanding the complexities of the stock and industry, expertise in speaking simply about complex issues to other investment professionals or the distribution channel.